Most enrolled students at participating Clearinghouse schools will have deferments electronically processed by their loan holders, if they are eligible. However, it is possible that the loan holder or servicer could send you a deferment form. If so, you should take the deferment form to the registrar’s office at your school, where it will be forwarded to the Clearinghouse for processing.
Do NOT send the form to the Clearinghouse yourself; it MUST go through your registrar’s office first.
If your school participates in our Student Self-Service program, you can login from your school’s Web site or student portal to check the deferment forms and electronic notifications that have been sent to your loan holders. Check your school’s Web site or contact the registrar’s office to find out if your school participates in our free Student Self-Service.
If you are still in school and receive a repayment letter, you should contact your school to verify that the deferment has been processed. If it has not, contact the Clearinghouse to request assistance.
If you are on active military duty, including reservists, you may not be required to make student loan payments while you are deployed.
If you have an outstanding student loan and are, or soon will be, on active military duty, you should:
- Contact your lender to inform them about your active duty status and find out what options are available to you while you are on active military duty.
- If you have taken out loans, even if they are not yet in repayment, you must take action. Otherwise your loans will automatically move to repayment while you are away.
- Your personal copy of your student loan records is the best place to identify all your lenders and their contact information.
- If your institution is one of our Student Self-Service participants, you can access our LoanLocator service through your institution’s secure student portal to find out who your lenders are and how to contact them. Check your school’s Web site or contact the registrar’s office to find out if your school participates in our free Student Self-Service.
- Provide your lender with a copy of your military orders.