I am a parent and want to get information on my child’s student loans. How do I do it?

The National Student Clearinghouse gets many requests from parents who want to get information on their child’s student loans. Unless the student is under 18 years old, under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), no one other than the student can request that information. We can, however, help you understand how to direct your child to the assistance and information he or she needs.

Most enrolled students at participating Clearinghouse schools will have deferments electronically processed by their loan holders, if they are eligible. However, it is possible that the loan holder or servicer could send your enrolled student a deferment form.

If your child receives a deferment form, you should instruct your son or daughter to take the form to the school’s registrar’s office, where it will be forwarded to the Clearinghouse for processing. (Do NOT send the form to the Clearinghouse directly; it MUST go through the registrar’s office first.)

If your child’s school participates in our Student Self-Service program, he or she can login from his school’s Web site or student portal to check the deferment forms and electronic notifications that have been sent to his loan holders.

If your child is still in school and receives a collection letter, he or she should contact the loan holder or servicer to verify that the deferment has been processed. If it has not, have your child contact the Clearinghouse.

If your child is on active military duty, including reservists, your child may not be required to make student loan payments while he or she is deployed. If your child has an outstanding student loan and is, or soon will be, on active military duty, you should advise your son or daughter to contact the loan holder to inform them about his or her current (or approaching) active duty status and find out what deferment options are available. Your child should be prepared to provide the loan holder with a copy of his or her military orders. Even if your child’s student loans are not yet in repayment, your child must take action to avoid having the loans go into repayment while your son or daughter is away.