Get the Most Out of Your StudentTracker for High Schools Detail Report
To get the most out of StudentTracker® for High Schools, high school administrators need to be ready to take advantage of the data.
The National Student Clearinghouse provides two types of reports: aggregate reports and detail reports. The aggregate reports summarize postsecondary outcomes – including college enrollment, persistence, and completion rates – organized by high school graduating class. It provides a broad overview. In contrast, the student detail report provides the specific term-by-term enrollment data of each of the students in your cohort. This student-by-student list has the potential to unlock transformative insights.
Figure out what you want to learn
What will you do with the student-level data you receive? One of the best pieces of advice for schools and school districts is to begin with the end in mind.
- Create a list of questions that you hope to answer.
- What demographic or academic information could help to answer those questions?
- What demographic or academic information do you want to track at the individual student level?
- What high school programs and processes do you want to assess? How can you incorporate that data into the graduates file you submit to the Clearinghouse?
Add optional data fields
The Clearinghouse recommends that your school enter additional demographic or academic information into the optional data fields. This gives you a chance to customize the detail report you’ll get back. It also makes it easier to integrate the report’s data with your school’s student records.
Some examples of optional data fields:
- Economically disadvantaged indicator
- Disability indicator
- English language learner indicator
- Math assessment result (8th grade and/or high school)
- English assessment result (8th grade and/or high school)
- Dual enrollment indicator
- Number of semesters of math completed
- Program code (used to track a specific high school program)
The student detail report has the potential to unlock transformative insights.