Ideas for Using StudentTracker for High Schools Request File
Get Customized Information on Any Group of Students You Choose
In a previous post, we discussed the difference between a graduates’ file and a request file in StudentTracker for High Schools. You use the graduates file to send the Clearinghouse a complete list of your school’s graduates. A request file, however, consists of a specific subset of graduates – chosen by you.
Think of the StudentTracker for High Schools request file as a custom request. With a request file, you’re asking for the answer to a specific question by pulling a particular group of students out from the class as a whole.
This file type has unlimited flexibility – you can choose a segment of your school’s graduates based on any criteria you choose. For example:
- How do students who took four years of a foreign language in high school fare in college, compared to students who took less?
- How do college enrollment, persistence, and completion rates compare for the students with the strongest academic records (the top 10 or 20 percent of the class) compared to the students who struggled (the bottom 10 or 20 percent)?
- How did the students who took a certain class – from remedial algebra to AP biology – do in college?
- What about student athletes?
- How does high school attendance correlate to college enrollment, persistence, and completion? A request file could be formed to answer those questions.
Even better, each request file comes with the full suite of aggregate reports from the Clearinghouse – the same reports as with the graduates file. The data is ready to use, and ready for comparison to your school’s overall postsecondary enrollment, persistence, and completion percentages (which come with the Graduates file).
The request file can help your school evaluate particular programs, classes, and initiatives. It can help you deploy school resources where they will have the most impact. It can help you reach students who are struggling – and meet your school’s postsecondary outcome goals.
This file type has unlimited flexibility — you can choose a segment of your school’s graduates based on any criteria you choose.